Staying Safe During the Moving Process
Moving out or moving in is time-consuming. All your rooms have a pile of boxes, and it makes your home looking like a big warehouse. Well, you may say that it is not so bad because it will not last forever. Yes, it is true, but when you think again, some dangerous things may still happen. If you do not want to live in a big warehouse (even though it is temporarily), it is a great idea to use the services of professional movers.
Atlantic Group has only experienced and careful employees for your long distance and local moving. Moving is a busy process, and all your mind and body resources are activated. Most people think of different tasks and things to be done and leave out such simple thing as safety.
Rules for Your Safe Moving
There are certain rules to bear in mind to make your moving as safe as possible.
- Keep your children and pets away from dangerous areas
- Stay hydrated – stock up on bottles of water
- Do not wear loose or long clothing that may be stuck during the move
- Load and unload boxes early in the day, when you have enough energy (especially in summer to avoid hot hours).
- Check the weather before your move. Prepare for rainy or snowy days.
- Do not overload your boxes. It is good if every box weighs 20 to 25 pounds. Every strong man will be able to move and lift these boxes.
- Make sure that you do not have obstacles on your way to avoid slipping and tripping on something.
- Warming up before loading the truck for a couple of minutes is a good idea for your muscles. This way, spasms and painful injuries will be prevented.
Bonus tip: combine heavy and light items in medium-weight boxes. Use packing materials to fill the rest of the space after reaching the maximum weight.
Making the Move
A back injury is the most common accident during the move, so make sure to avoid unnecessary harm. Follow these steps:
- Use appropriate equipment. Gloves protect your skin and provide better grasp.
- To transport furniture and boxes, a hand truck, and dolly may be used. It is useful for items that are on the floor, and require bending from you to get them. Frequent bending over and lifting may affect your knees and back in a negative way.
- Using tools such as stair rollers, flat dollies, forklift straps, and furniture glides will help you move heavy and bulky furniture.
- It is better to pick up boxes that are placed at your waist level. You can use some tables to put boxes on them, instead of putting them on the floor. It would be a good start.
- Take care of yourself. Drink enough water, have snacks and meals, take some rest, and consider physical cues of your body.
This is how you should bend over to lift things:
- Your back is straight, and you should bend at the knees.
- Do not twist or jerk your legs while lifting. Your legs should move steadily.
- Keep your load close to your center of gravity. Do not move fast. Walk slowly.
- Carry one item at a time.
- Do not lift items that are too heavy for you. You can ask for a help of a mover, or you can lift the item with a partner.
You may be very excited when you have settled in, but you should be still careful while unpacking your belongings and furniture.
- When you move boxes from one room to another, don’t forget about proper lifting routine. If the box is heavy, lift it box with a partner.
- Do not move heavy furniture an your own. Lifting a heavy sofa or wardrobe may lead to a back strain, and back pain.
- Make sure to use ladders when you put things on high shelves. Do not hold boxes aloft.
When you have finished moving boxes or furniture, don’t forget about the stretching exercises. The exercises may include stretches of hamstrings, calf muscles, quads, shoulders, neck, and hip flexors.
Hiring Full Service Movers
It is not a secret that in order to avoid injuries when you need to lift, carry and place heavy things on their places, it is better not to lift any heavy things at all. It does not matter what you need: to pack some things, or to move your belongings to your new place – the professional movers are ready to help! We can lift heavy items and/or pack all your belongings, when needed.
Your move will be smooth, stress-free, fast, and painless due to our professional services. Find out more about all services we provide on our website or call the local office of Atlantic Group to get details and rates for your move.